Adsense

Thursday, October 17, 2013

Gianluigi Buffon had the chance to join Barcelona



Juventus stalwart Gianluigi Buffon admits he had the chance to join both Barcelona and AC Milan at different points in his career, whereas a lucrative move to Eastern Europe was turned down as recently as last season.



Buffon penned his Juventus contract extension in January this year, which will take him up to 2015.


"My parents were right to choose Parma because it was deemed more suitable for a 13-year-old kid.

"Any parent, perhaps rightly, would have preferred to fill his mouth saying that his son was playing in Milan. Instead they just thought about where I could grow better.

"In 2001, I could have gone to Barcelona but in this case the choice to go to Juventus came from my father. And I thank him again that I took off with the Bianconeri."

Eastern Europe has, in recent times, seen many eye-popping deals being struck for players who would normally have been expected to go for more competitive leagues.

Even players in the latter stages of their careers have faced up to temptation, and Buffon claims he was no different.

"The renewal in 2013 was another milestone," Buffon added. "I chose to stay at Juventus despite an offer from Eastern Europe that would have toppled anyone.

"I hope to play again for a few years, as long as I am able to surprise myself – as I have always done in my career."

No comments:

Post a Comment